Butterflies and Dragonflies United

This website does not promote the development of anorexia or any other eating disorder. The content of this site may be triggering. Browse at your own discretion.

A pro-ana website. We do not promote the development of anorexia or any other eating disorder. Browse at your own risk.

Latest topics

Quotes

Purging Info

ButterflyAna

Purging Info

Post by ButterflyAna on Tue 17 Jun - 20:35

I've hesitated writing a How To Purge article because if you do it wrong, you really hurt yourself bad. Even if you do it right, you can still destroy your body. Here's my knowledge on purging. Feel free to add more in the comments, too!

1. Do not use ipecac. That stuff can stop your heart. People only used it because it was a lesser of two evils: either certain death from whatever poison/toxin you ingested, or chance of death from the ipecac syrup yourself. 

2. Do not induce vomit with foreign objects. This include things like tooth brushes and pens or swallowing candy on floss and pulling it out. You can inhale/swallow the object. An ER trip to remove a tooth brush is anything but pleasant.

3. Hand is your safe bet. It's disgusting, but it's the safest option if you can't purge hands free. You can't accidentally swallow or inhale your hand. If it's not working, it's usually due to:

• not sticking it down your throat far enough. I've gone as far as my teeth passing my knuckles by an inch.
    • not leaving it in there long enough. Purging hurts and feels uncomfortable. Every inch of your body says remove your hand. Many people don't leave it in long enough their first few tries. I've left it in at least a minute, moving my fingers around my first time. It got easier after I got more practiced.
    • removing it too soon. Many remove their hand the moment vomit starts coming up. Doing that can stop the flow of vomit. Suck it up and accept your hand will be covered in purge.
    • not enough fingers. I use three. The joint of my ring finger catches on my teeth if I only use two.
    • shot gag reflex. If you purge too often, your body builds tolerance to triggering your gag reflex. Take a 1-2, maybe 3 week break from purging for your gag reflex to return.
    • things other than hand technique. Sometimes food is too difficult to purge (chocolate and bread are notorious). Better to compensate by exercising than hurt yourself with strain from vomiting.

4. Remove acid from hands and face. Wash your hand(s) asap. I wash between each "flow" of vomit. Your stomach acid can damage the skin on your hand over time. Best to remove it with hand soap. Wash your face. There will be tears and snot everywhere. Vomit can run on your chin or splash back, Wash with warm water and face cleanser (if you have one on hand). If your hair is long, it may also need a wipe if it wasn't tied back. 

5. Protect your teeth and mouth. The acid can damage your tooth enamel, and purge can clog saliva glands. Rinse your mouth with water immediately. Take an antacid tablet (like tums) as according to directions. Antacid tablets or powders are calcium bicarbonate and will neutralize acid. Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) dissolved in water works, too. If possible, gargle antacid on your throat, too. Your throat can get raw in a matter of minutes after purging. After 20-30 minutes, you can then brush your teeth. You have to wait because toothpaste has abrasives--gritty particles that scrape on teeth to "sandblast" plaque. The stomach acid softens your enamel, so brushing your teeth too soon can mean you "sandblast" your protective enamel.

6. saline rinse. Purge particles can get caught in your sinus cavities. Some people even had purge come out their noses. Your nose will naturally drip (a lot) during a purging session, but it may not be enough to clean your sinuses. You can get infections, bloody noses, and breathing problems from the purge. Rinse your sinuses with a neti pot or something similar if you can.

7. Drink water. Water makes food come up easier. Drink water (or other drink you fancy) during your binge if you can remember. Otherwise, chug a litter/quart of water and wait 5-15 minutes for it to mix in your stomach before you start to purge. Rinsing is when after your finish purging, you chug water again to purge and make sure you get it all out. Rinsing too much can remove even more electrolytes because you're removing even more stomach acid from your body. It's best to keep rinsing for emergencies.

8. Blood. Purging a tablespoon (14-15 ml) or more of blood means go to the emergency room now. A cut can get really nasty when acid can erode the flesh and bacteria can infect it. Bright red specks, streaks, or splotches is from the mouth or throat. Dark red or brown or black is stomach or lower stomach region. Blood can be a sign of cuts, ruptures, or ulcers. General rule: the darker, the further down and/or longer it's been in your system.

9. Stop purging when you experience the following:

• Heart fluttering (heart attack potential) 
    • dizzy or light-headed (fainting potential) 
    • blacking out during/after purging (take a few days break)
    • lose sensation in your feet or legs (nerve damage from electrolyte imbalance)
    • a tablespoon (14-15 ml) of blood (emergency room now!)

10. Electrolytes. Nerves use electrolytes to send signals. Without enough electrolytes, your nerves can't tell your muscles to contract. Guess what? Your heart is a muscle! You can be normal weight and still get a heart attack from purging. Electrolytes are also found in your stomach. Your body releases electrolytes during food digestion, but reabsorbs and recycles them. When your purge (vomit or laxatives), your body cannot reabsorb the electrolytes, and your electrolyte levels drop a LOT.

Sports drinks (Gatorade, Powerade, Mio, Hydrolyte, etc) offer some electrolytes, but they don't give as much as actual food. There are many no or low calorie versions out there. Food that hasn't been processed (fresh or cooked fruit, veggies, meat) provide much more electrolytes. Eating after purging may seem appalling, but drinking a sports drink is much better than nothing. Plus, the drinks soothe the sore throat and rinse the mouth of acid (if it's sugar-free version).

11. Get blood work. It's a good idea to check blood work for electrolyte balances with your regular doctor visits, especially if you purge several times a month or more. It can catch electrolyte imbalances early, and you can get proper supplements to correct them. Catching and correcting these health problems early means you prevent irreversible heart or nerve damage.

12. Avoid purging spicy or acidic food. They are notorious to hurt. Your throat is already raw from stomach acid. dumping spice and more acid is just going to hurt even more.

13. Careful with caffeine and alcohol. Purging a lot puts a lot of stress on your heart. Caffeine and other stimulants can put even more strain and can cause a heart attack or cardiac arrest. Alcohol is a depressant, and it can make your gag reflex slow. You run the risk of choking on your vomit, in addition to making poor decisions about whether to stop.

14. Make gravity work for you. Stand up, don't kneel over. When you're standing up, you can bend over at your hips and have gravity drag the vomit out of your stomach. One or two really good gags like this can get a LOT out. You don't have to keep gagging.

15. Make cleanup easy. Purge in plasticware. Collapsible ones are excellent for a purse or backpack. Many have markings to show volume, a bonus to help gauge how much you purged and how much to go. You can gently dump the purge down the toilet for minimal splatter and wash the container in the sink. A plastic container is more sanitary than a toilet, especially public toilets.

16. Cough drops. If your throat is still very sore, suck on a cough drop. Make sure it has menthol as an ingredient. Menthol is an anesthetic and will numb the area.

17. Have a purge kit. Have everything you may need for purging ready and in easy access. Water bottle, concentrated electrolyte sports drink (like mio or powerade drops), plastic container, towel, tissues, neti pot, antacid, makeup, lip balm, air freshener, gum, etc. The plastic container can double as the box holding everything.
    Nyx

Re: Purging Info

Post by Nyx on Fri 27 Jun - 16:19

Do you have any tips for not being too loud? I share a house with 2 other people, and am paranoid about them hearing me. I gag and cough really loudly!
    ButterflyAna

Post by ButterflyAna on Sat 28 Jun - 22:42

There are a few ways to muffle the sound. Run the shower or faucet or flush the toilet just as the purge comes out. I'd choose shower in your situation, especially if the walls are thin. If it's just as someone walks by, the toilet flushing or faucet work great. Keep one hand on the handle if you are going to do that.

A lot of coughing and gagging comes when I don't control my breath well. When I feel the reflex about to be triggered, I take a quick deep breath and hold my breath while the purge comes out. Then when the purging is done, I can slowly release my breath and clear my throat. I've not found a good way to prevent the splash sound, other than the closer my face is to whatever I'm purging on, the quieter it is in general. toilet paper in the toilet bowl helps with splash-back.

If all else fails, you could "go for a walk" and purge in the bushes if you get nervous about others hearing you.
    lavenderlilacgirl

Post by lavenderlilacgirl on Thu 3 Jul - 11:25

I know a lot of people probably want to learn how to purge hand-free.... so I thought it might be helpful if I give you some tips on how to PRACTICE doing it. You most likely won't be able to do it right away and that's okay... it takes some practice... but before I start... I'd like to say that if you haven't actually started purging yet, then don't because it IS terrible and it WILL ruin your health and become addicting and yeah..

1. THE next time you purge, PAY ATTENTION to what your stomach muscles are doing. This will help because when you really notice exactly how they're contracting and pushing up your food, then you can teach yourself how to do it over time. There isn't a guidebook for how to purge hands-free because everyone's bodies are different. 

2. Simple. Try it. Your body most likely has some muscle memory and will know what you're trying to do once you start. It will be new though; so don't expect anything at first. You probably will burp a lot. When your trying to do this. (Oh yeah. you might want to do this when no one else is home because it's REALLY noisy when you're getting the hang of it)

So after you've been practicing like that for a while [matching your stomach muscles by themselves to what they do when you're gagging] then start doing things that make purging especially easy. I mean if you've just binged on a whole pizza and idk... peanut butter (or whatever is especially hard for you to purge) then you certainly shouldn't expect to get that up without hands. Even things that are usually easy to get up might be a bit difficult at first (it will all get easier in time; DON'T worry) 

Extra tip: 

If you don't already do this, then drink about a liter of warm water (try to just chug it if you can) then rock salt with a little tiny bit of water when it's almost gone. This will definitely help the process and make it 1,000,000x easier. 

I hope this helped you guys!!! I know it helped me but like I said, everyone's bodies are different what works for one person, might not work for the next.
    calorified

Post by calorified on Tue 22 Jul - 6:06

I want to add that I asked my dentist about purging a long time. He listed me a few different tips to help keep my teeth protected. Naturally I forgot nearly all of them, but the 2 tips that really stick in my mind are to avoid sodas when purging as they apparently are extra acidic on your teeth when coming back up (let's be real though, coke make purging 99% easier) and to try and limit the amount of times you actually purge in a single purging session. He explained it to me that every time you vomit, acid is being washed against your teeth and so if I must purge then trying to get it all up at once is far better on teeth than getting it up in separate amounts.
    harmony

Post by harmony on Fri 25 Jul - 1:43

I know people who use custom fit mouth gaurds to help protect their teeth...I dont know if it actually does help or not but I know some who claim it to

also just never ever try purging peanut butter oh my god
    calorified

Post by calorified on Fri 25 Jul - 1:47

harmony wrote:I know people who use custom fit mouth gaurds to help protect their teeth...I dont know if it actually does help or not but I know some who claim it to

also just never ever try purging peanut butter oh my god

while I don't find peanut butter exactly pleasant to purge or anything, but I find if I drink plenty of water before hand, then eat it, then purge IMMEDIATELY after I can get it up without problems.
    harmony

Post by harmony on Fri 25 Jul - 1:55

calorified wrote:

while I don't find peanut butter exactly pleasant to purge or anything, but I find if I drink plenty of water before hand, then eat it, then purge IMMEDIATELY after I can get it up without problems.

I got it up fairly well but it just tasted nasty, it might have had to do with the other things I had eaten though.
    SweetGeorgiaPeaches

Post by SweetGeorgiaPeaches on Wed 15 Oct - 12:49

I know a girl who swallowed her toothbrush & brought it back up a few weeks later when she was purging.
    Viscera

Post by Viscera on Thu 13 Aug - 15:23

I don't know if it was mentioned, but coconut water is a great thing to drink after purging. It will help rebalance the electrolytes, and it hydrates your body more than water does. And its healthier than sports drinks which are just full of sugars. Wetting your fingers in warm water before putting them down your throat seems to help. Keeping your nails kept nice and short is really important to since you don't want to scratch the back of your throat. It will hurt, sometimes there's blood, but I think the worse part about scratching your throat is that it becomes really sensitive to the acid and vomit coming back up.
    Purrexia

Post by Purrexia on Mon 31 Aug - 16:54

Thanks so much for this! Do you know if using mouthwash after purging is beneficial (as opposed to waiting 20-30 min to brush)?
    Haricot Vert

Post by Haricot Vert on Mon 14 Sep - 2:51

I'd say use non alcoholic mouthwash. The alcoholic kind makes bad breath worse anyway.
    casperskitten

Post by casperskitten on Thu 23 Jun - 15:09

Thanks so much for these tips. They are really helpful as i had concluded i cannot purge. Will try these out

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 22 Sep - 11:08